Marlborough Harrier Club held the 37th running of the Queen Charlotte Relay on Saturday 15th September 2018.
This event is the oldest road relay still held on its original course between Picton and Havelock.
The relay is a 5-person team event starting in Picton taking in the picturesque Queen Charlotte Drive ending up in Havelock. There are 5 laps with changeover points at Wedge Point, Momorangi, Linkwater, Moenui then the “heroes” lap ending up in the middle of Havelock.
This year we had the added risk factor of major road works between Momorangi and The Grove. We thank the Contractors, Bryant Contractors, who took the day off and tidied up the area. It made walking running a lot safer.
We had 43 running teams coming from Christchurch, Nelson area and Marlborough area. 5 walker teams from Nelson and Marlborough took part.
The day itself was perfect with fine warm weather with little wind.
No race records were recorded.
Our thanks go to all our sponsors Spokesman Cycles, Mitchell Sports, Pelorus Mailboat, Yealands Estate Winery, Mediaworks, CrossFit, Spy Valley Wines, SBS, Taylor Pass Honey, Havelock Hotel, Subway Picton, Pac N Save Blenheim, Grapelander Tours, Blenheim New World, Picton Supervalue, MacDonalds.
1: Athletics Nelson (Sam Mead, Max Meffan, Fletcher Pickworth, Ben Allan, Nick Mathews) 2:06:52
2: Athletics Nelson Cliff Hangers (Cliff Bowman, Thomas Anderson, Simon Leaning, Murray Hart, Wayne Manderson) 2:11:11
3. Marlborough Harriers Awesome (Jono Leach, Don Bate, Quintin Adlam, Cameron Kain, Dale Smit) 2:26:49
1. KFit Gals (Annabel Latz, Annabel Latz, Lynne Fitzpatrick, Jodye Tomalin, Kylie Senior) 2:51:25
1. Marlborough Harriers Pacesetters (Philip Taylor, Dave Vernon, Robbie Barnes, Alex Lloyd, Ed Massey) 2:14:51
2. Last Century Baby Boomers (John Smart, Murray Hart, Derek Shaw, Aynsley Moore, Tim Cross) 2:36:03
3. 60 the new 50”s (Barry Dewar, Barry Dewar, Andrew Barker, Chris Bolter, Hugh Hall) 2:37:34
1. Waimea Wonder Women (Yvonne West, Robyn Deane, Klaartji van Schie, Fran Kerse, Tania Gardner) 2:41:27
2. Speedplay Vets (Anthea Lees, Andrea Livingston, Karen Goodger, Juanita Holmwood, Maria Voigt) 2:55:12
3. Turbo Turtles (Anna Young, Rebecca Elsmore, Alison Hills, Julie McLeish, Denise Manning) 3:15:17
1. Athletics Nelson: (Josh Gill, Junek Manderson, Matthew Bowen, Clemens Schrmayer, Henry Grab) 2:20:11
2. Relay Lads (Edan Fitzpatrick, Ben O’Sullivan, Bradley Thomas, Caleb Young, Campbill Gill) 2:35:40
1. Athletics Nelson (Charlotte Tucker, Hannah Barnsley, Holly Blake, Lucy Harman, Lucy Martin) 2:34:46
2. Marlborough Harriers (Anna Barnes, Maria Muller, Sophia Bendell, Lucy Bendell, Shanay Harvey) 2:58:27
1. Beavertown Hopefuls (Billy Hebberd, John Kennedy, Marty Moran, Pip Herd, Paula Oliver) 2:24:02
2. Wire Runners (Billy Hebberd, Dakota Jones, Devon Payne, Kane Hebberd, Esther Payne) 2:32:38
3. Run Now Wine Later (Gavin Williams, Ash Rebal, Balaz Kazmer, Tom Dixon, Balaz Kazmer) 2:39:55
Fastest lap times:
Grade Name L1 Time Name L2 Time Name L3 Time
JM Edan Fitzpatrick 0:21:45 Janek Manderson 0:35:20 Matthew Bowen 0:29:46
JW Charlotte Tucker 0:25:29 Hannah Barnsley 0:39:19 Holly Blake 0:33:40
SM Sam Mead 0:19:53 Thomas Anderson 0:29:00 Fletcher Pickworth 0:28:28
Social Billy Hebberd 0:21:04 Oliver Batcher 0:32:48 Balaz Kazmer 0:32:01
SW Annabel Latz 0:26:21 Annabel Latz 0:41:23 Lynne Fitzpatrick 0:38:57
VM Philip Taylor 0:21:00 David Vernon 0:31:09 Robbie Barnes 0:30:59
VW Anna Young 0:28:25 Robyn Deane 0:35:00 Klaartje van Schie 0:32:47
Walkers Jim Kerse 0:38:53 Alan West 0:53:41 Daryl Nish 0:50:49
Name L4 Time Name L5 Time
JM Clemens Schrmayer 0:26:16 Henry Grab 0:25:34
JW Lucy Harman 0:27:53 Lucy Martin 0:28:25
SM Murray Hart 0:23:56 Nick Matthews 0:22:24
Social Robbie Barnes 0:24:48 Hayden Gaudin 0:26:07
SW Jodye Tomalin 0:32:33 Kylie Senior 0:32:11
VM Alex Lloyd 0:24:14 Tim Cross 0:26:24
VW Fran Kerse 0:32:16 Tania Gardner 0:31:22
Walker Eileen Llewellin 0:47:49 John Llewellin 0:47:51
Our thanks go to the Organizing Committee who worked hard to make sure you all had a brilliant day – and you did.
Thanks also go out to all our Volunteers who time-kept, recorded numbers as athletes came in, Bill and Allister who went to Havelock early in the morning setting the traffic management backwards to Picton, Warren and Kay who sat in the hall busy recording and getting the results out as quick as possible plus numerous others in the background. We are indebted to you.
Results can be found here
Official photos can be found here