Queen Charlotte Relay
Saturday the 16th of September 2017
This relay is one of the oldest road relays held in New Zealand and still running on a State Highway.
The first relay was on 17th September 1982 and has been competed for annually since without a break. The course has had only minor changes mainly in Havelock for safety reasons. We have teams coming from all over New Zealand to compete and have a fun day into the bargain.
This event is a 5 person relay starting at Waitohi Domain, Picton finishing in Havelock outside the Havelock Hotel. The relay was for runners only until 2002 when due to popular demand we introduced a walkers grade. The walkers are not refereed so it is social walking.
All registration, toilets, race briefings will be held at Picton School, Kent Street, Picton – look for the Harrier sign. Buses for leg 2 runners will leave from Picton School as will all support vehicles after the race brief. Lap one runners will walk/jog to the start at Waitohi Domain 2 blocks away.
Walkers leave Waitohi Domain 11.30am = Race briefing 11.15am
Runners leave Waitohi Domain 1pm = Race briefing 12.30pm
Lap 1: Picton to Wedge Point. 5,100 metres (Undulating, then steady climb)
(All competitors must be aged 14 or above on Race Day)
• First three placings of each grade. (If grade contains less than 5 teams, then first prize only applies)
• Fastest Lap times Open men, Open women, Veteran Men, Veteran Women, Junior Men and Junior Women. (If grade contains only one team, then NO fastest lap time prize will be awarded)
• Performance Prizes for Social and Walkers team winners.
Spot Prizes: To be shared among all teams.
Major spot prize for 2016 - Drawn at the end of prize giving. You have to be there to win!
1. AvantiPlus Blenheim – a chance to win a bike. Details here . AvantiPlus Blenheim are again one of our Major Sponsors. Please support them whenever possible. This is a prize you will want to win!
2. 1 family ticket on The Mail Boat Havelock. Details here. We are lucky we have the Marlborough Sounds as our playground but a lot of people miss the best. This is where Jim and his crew take you on a journey of exploration. They have donated one family ticket
Children up to and including 15 yrs Free*
Tea and Coffee supplied
Bring your own lunch *max 2 children per full adult fare.
When you have friends and family come to visit or you are wondering “what shall we do?” remember The Mail Boat Havelock.
Team Entry $125 .
The race is limited to a maximum of 80 teams participating (incl. walkers teams)
Please read the race rules before entering.
Print off this complete and post to 71A Muller Road, Blenheim 7201. Available soon.
Entries Close: 5th September 2017. Post Entry Form to 71A Muller Road, Blenheim 7201
Video: Athletics Nelson’s QCR2013 Video (Josh Barry’s superb Youtube video of the Athletics Nelson teams competing on Saturday)