Queen Charlotte Relay
Saturday the 15th of September 2018
The first relay was on 17th September 1982 and has been competed for annually since without a break. The course has had only minor changes mainly in Havelock for safety reasons. We have teams coming from all over New Zealand to compete and have a fun day into the bargain.
This event is a 5 person relay starting at Waitohi Domain, Picton finishing in Havelock outside the Havelock Hotel. The relay was for runners only until 2002 when due to popular demand we introduced a walkers grade. The walkers are not refereed so it is social walking.
All registration, toilets, race briefings will be held at Picton School, Kent Street, Picton – look for the Harrier sign. Buses for leg 2 runners will leave from Picton School as will all support vehicles after the race brief. Lap one runners will walk/jog to the start at Waitohi Domain 2 blocks away.
Walkers leave Waitohi Domain 11.30am = Race briefing 11.00am at Picton School.
Runners leave Waitohi Domain 1pm =
Race briefing 12.15pm at Picton School.
Lap 1: Picton to Wedge Point. 5,100 metres (Undulating, then steady climb)
(All competitors must be aged 14 or above on Race Day)
• First three placings of each grade. (If grade contains less than 5 teams, then first prize only applies)
• Fastest Lap times Open men, Open women, Veteran Men, Veteran Women, Junior Men and Junior Women. (If grade contains only one team, then NO fastest lap time prize will be awarded)
• Performance Prizes for Social and Walkers team winners.
1. Spokesman Cycles Marlborough – a chance to win a bike. Spokesman Cycles Marlborough are again one of our Major Sponsors. Please support them whenever possible. This is a prize you will want to win! You have to be at prizegiving to win.
2. 1 family ticket on The Mail Boat Havelock. Details here. We are lucky we have the Marlborough Sounds as our playground but a lot of people miss the best. This is where Jim and his crew take you on a journey of exploration. They have donated one family ticket
Children up to and including 15 yrs Free*
Tea and Coffee supplied
Bring your own lunch *max 2 children per full adult fare.
When you have friends and family come to visit or you are wondering “what shall we do?” remember The Mail Boat Havelock.
For this spot prize you have to be at the prizegiving in person to claim.
Team Entry $125 .
The race is limited to a maximum of 80 teams participating (incl. walkers teams)
Please read the race rules before entering. We do have cut off times at each changeover point. These are listed here:
All leg changeover points will be cleared of outgoing runners within the following specific time:–
- Ø Leg one runner: If you are not at Wedge Point at 35 minutes running time, your leg 2 runners will be mass started. The bus will wait for you at Wedge Point.
- Ø Leg 2 runner: If you are not at Momorangi Bay by 1 hour 20 minutes running time, your leg 3 runner will be in a mass start. Your support vehicle must wait for you to finish.
- Ø Leg 3 runner walkers: If you are not at Linkwater by 2 hours 15 minutes your 4th leg runner/walker will be in a mass start. Your support vehicle must wait for you to finish.
- Ø Leg 4 runner walkers: If you are not at Moenui by 2 hours 55 minutes running time, your 5th leg runner walker will be in a mass start. Your support vehicle must wait for you to finish.
Video: Athletics Nelson’s QCR2013 Video (Josh Barry’s superb Youtube video of the Athletics Nelson teams competing on Saturday)